By the time you are calling for help with fire damage restoration, you are already dealing with one of the most devastating and overwhelming types of damage your home can sustain. The scary thing is fire damage prevalence in homes across the country are frighteningly high, and whether or not you think it can happen to you and your home, you need to be prepared for the worst. We want to give you the best chance at properly dealing with fire damage, which is why we not only offer the best fire damage restoration services in St George, but we also wanted to put together a list of everything you need to know concerning fire damage in your home.
First, according to the National Fire Protection Association, house fires resulted in approximately $6.9 billion in property damage across the country over a 5 year time span. One reason fires are so destructive is because of how quickly they grow, especially in homes. In fact, the National Fire Danger Rating System reported that it only takes 30 seconds for a small flame to turn into a major blaze which is why around 358,500 homes across the United States experience a structural fire every year – that means a house fire occurs every 87 seconds – yikes! This is why prevention is such an important and necessary part of protecting your home from fire damage.
Fire Damage Restoration In St. George
To help you better prepare for fire damage and protect your home from it, the next thing we need to discuss is the common causes of residential fires. The number one cause of fires in homes is cooking (which is also why the peak day for cooking fires happens to be Thanksgiving). Following cooking fires, heating equipment are the next most common sources of fires in homes, so, naturally, 45% of all residential fires occur during the fall and winter months as we try to keep our homes warm. Electrical malfunctions are the third most common cause of fires in homes across America, which makes the risk of house fires even more relevant because of how much our lives depend on electronics. To keep your home as safe as possible from fire damage, here are some things we suggest:
- Be sure to install a fire alarm/smoke detector in every room of your home, and be sure to test them regularly and replace batteries as needed. These devices can alert you sooner and save lives, so do not underestimate their importance.
- Never leave cooking food or hot appliances in the kitchen unattended. Remember how quickly even small flames can get out of hand, so be attentive and alert in the kitchen to help prevent fires from occurring.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your home in an easy-to-access location, and make sure everyone knows how to use it.
- If you use space heaters or any other portable heaters in your home, be sure to keep them 3 feet away from flammable objects and do not leave them on in rooms unattended.
- Finally, be sure to have a trusted and experienced team on your side to respond to your fire damage emergency as soon as possible if you need help. Ally 1 offers emergency fire damage restoration services in St George, ensuring you have everything you need to get your home back to normal if a fire occurs.