Mold Removal And Wet Basements
Since basements are the lowest part of the home, they get more moisture than any other area in the home. Because it seems to be a common problem in basements, and most of the long-lasting effects of excess moisture are hidden behind walls and under floors, many homeowners overlook water and moisture in the basement and fail to recognize the dangers associated with unwanted or excess moisture.
Some of the effects of water in the basement that are easily noticed are the damages to your possessions. Furniture, carpet, drywall, textiles, and paper goods all suffer immensely when exposed to water. Damage to possessions is a top priority and concern following any flooding, and should definitely be addressed and taken care of. However, most of these items can be replaced and pose no serious threat to the health or structural integrity of the home. But excess moisture in your basement can actually lead to significant health and structural dangers.
Water can enter your basement in a number of ways. One way is through cracks in the very foundation of your home. When the foundation allows entry points for water, it causes those cracks to expand. As cracks in the foundation expand, the foundation itself becomes weakened. Other structural components of the home, like wood, sheetrock, and drywall all absorb water when exposed to it. As these materials continue to absorb water, they begin to swell and warp. This warping compromises the integrity of floors, walls, and ceilings. Rot and deterioration will also begin to occur if exposed to moisture and water are prolonged.
Damp areas in your basement not only lead to warping and buckling of structural materials but also provide the perfect environment for mold to grow. With moisture available, mold can grow in as little as 48 hours. As mold growth continues to spread, fungus and other bacteria will also be introduced to your home, and removal will become necessary. Exposure to these contaminants can cause respiratory problems and put everyone in the home at risk. Symptoms of mold exposure include, but are not limited to,
- Itchy, water eyes
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Allergic reactions
Mold spores travel through the air, so it is not just the air in the basement that is compromised, but the air quality throughout the entire home becomes contaminated when mold grows. Mold is a serious problem, and will not go away on its own. In fact, removal will be extremely necessary to ensure proper health.
Mold Removal In Salina
A wet basement is a serious threat to your health and your home’s structure. Whether you have had a major flood, notice a leak, or just have excess dampness in your basement, do not procrastinate calling in the mold removal professionals at Ally 1. Ally 1 offers complete water damage restoration solutions in Salina and surrounding areas. From professional drying with the latest equipment, to mold removal and remediation, and even to completely rebuilding or replacing the damaged materials and structures, these professionals can handle the entire process from start to finish. They know the dangers that come from mold in the basement and have the training and experience needed to make your home safe.